Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Falling From Bright to Brown--a poem

I used to be brighter than candy, even when I wasn’t sweet
I used to be the color of neon and rainbow.

I used to be colors—the ones in the upper right
Of your computer paint spectrum box.

I used to be cans of fizz. I was caffeinated
saturated with soda: I didn’t know flat.

My heart didn’t know ground: I put on his ice skates and launched
Into the cold sky with my woven scarf.

I was a super hero, I was unstoppable.
I rode the clouds. I, was unstoppable.

I was hot pink and I was confusable.
My voice rose louder than those skates, those clouds, ever took me.

I was one of the stars. I was burning bright and fast.
I was on a race to somewhere, with a someone I’d call rocket fuel.

But he burnt up my blades and I was lost back to the stratus
While he raced on Looping back for me but never slowing down.

My heart found the ground the same time as my ass.
Now I’ve found ponds and I skirt around their lost reeds.

Sometimes I even scoot in brown tennis shoes
Through the towns and the forests.

I’ve found a someone lost in the wood grain
And he is like the rain; falling with me from the sky.

No comments: